1999. Time Lapse Emotional Study
Etta Cetera has consistently been one of the most inspired & potent creative forces I've ever known. While she's deservedly somewhat known as a political activist, especially in the areas of anti-racism, queer culture, & prison activism, she's probably less well-known as an artist & publisher. Some of the greatest performances I've ever seen originated with her.
Etta & I worked together as the coeditors of The Street Ratbag, an anarchist political magazine, & collaborated on many things from 1997 to 2001 & beyond. One of the movies that's probably among the most important of these collaborations that're online is:
212. "Don't Walk Backwards" (Long Version)
- tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE etta cetera
- shot in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; Adelaide, Lake Eyre, William Creek, Coober Pedy, Melbourne, Canberra, Queen's Cliff, Goongerah, Goolengook, & Sydney, Australia from march '00 - june '01
- edited in Pittsburgh, us@ by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE from june '00 - march '01
- Super-8mm, 16mm, PXL-2000, 35mm filmstrips, 35mm slidestrips, 1/2" VHS cassette -> 1/2" VHS cassette
- march '00 - march '01
- the editing notes for this can be found here
- unlisted on my onesownthoughts YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/kODzM_2_bRM
but there are many, many more. More recently, I made a movie of an event that she coorganized:
502. "The Struggle to End Death by Incarceration"
- a document of the Panel Discussion at the Summit Against Racism, January 20, 2018. Pittsburgh, PA, organized by CADBI (Coalition to Abolish Death by Incarceration (West))
- featuring panelists Yusef Jones, Sharif Boyd, Paulette Carrington, Troy David, & Tiffany Sizemore
- shot, edited, & titled by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE using 2 mini-dvs, 1 Vivitar sports camera, 1 iJones
- stills & additional iJones footage by etta cetera
- 1700X1275 (4/3)
- on my onesownthoughts YouTube channel here: https://youtu.be/3KJc0rb-zRk
This book was created as a Mail Art project of sorts, collecting together work by people in 3 countries around the theme of a "Time Lapse Emotional Study" observed over a month so that women participants could show the affects of their menstrual cycle, when applicable.
The cover was taken from a Reader's Digest booklet "A Dossier of the Greatest Spies of History". Using that as the front cover was probably a bit of a private joke between Etta & myself because one of my ex-girlfriends had claimed that one of the German spies stationed in the US during WWII who was featured in the booklet was the ex-girlfriend's relative.
The title page is actually a black & white photographic print that Etta would have developed & printed herself in the darkroom that we had at the time:
I find it extraordinary. The inside back cover was stamped with a rubber stamp from my collection for some additional silliness. The lower right hand corner shows that this was an edition of 50.
My participation in it was in color & an excuse for me to use the masks in my collection & to write a description of my worrying about why I didn't get my period.
The back cover shows the list of 16 participants. I was "Party Teen on Couch #2", a reference to the credits in Wes Craven's horror movie "Scream" which Etta & I had seen together in Berlin in 1997.
- tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE note, March 27, 2018E.V.
tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE
idioideo at verizon dot net
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Anti-Neoism page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Audiography page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Bibliography page
to my "Blaster" Al Ackerman index
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE BYOC page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Censored or Rejected page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Collaborations page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE (d) compositions page
to Amir-ul Kafirs' Facebook page
to the "FLICKER" home-page for the alternative cinematic experience
to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's GoodReads profile
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Haircuts page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Home Tapers page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE index page
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE Instagram Poetry page
to a listing of tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's manifestations on the Internet Archive
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE as Interviewee index
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE as Interviewer index
to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE'S Linked-In profile
for A Mere Outline for One Aspect of a Book on Mystery Catalysts, Guerrilla Playfare, booed usic, Mad Scientist Didactions, Acts of As-Beenism, So-Called Whatevers, Psychopathfinding, Uncerts, Air Dressing, Practicing Promotextuality, Imp Activism, etc..
to the mm index
to see an underdeveloped site re the N.A.A.M.C.P. (National Association for the Advancement of Multi-Colored Peoples)
to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's Neoism page
to the DEFINITIVE Neoism/Anti-Neoism website
to the Philosopher's Union website
to the tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE movie-making "Press: Criticism, Interviews, Reviews" home-page
to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's Score Movies
to find out more about why the S.P.C.S.M.E.F. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Sea Monkeys by Experimental Filmmakers) is so important
to the "tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - Sprocket Scientist" home-page
to Psychic Weed's Twitter page
to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's Vimeo index
to Vine movies relevant to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE made by Ryan Broughman
to tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's presence in the Visual Music Village
for info on tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's tape/CD publishing label: WIdémoUTH
to a very small selection of tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE's Writing
to the onesownthoughts YouTube channel